Saturday, January 26, 2008

Psychological Mining: The Genius of Facebook ‘Games’ and Quizzes

There’s an eerie brilliance behind some of some of Facebook’s seemingly innocuous applications. The most insidious genius that I have encountered thus far is the “Likeness” application, as it preys upon so many levels of hope and fear, and then supposedly ranks users against each other, then ranks/matches them with people who achieve similar scores to them.

I need to dig deeper into their privacy policy before I can make any sort of overarching judgement about whether or not this kind of application is data mining for targeted advertising, but I see absolutely no reason why this kind of data collection isn’t a form of targeted advertising tool – if I input all of my preferences and fears, with the idea that I’ll then be ranked against my ‘peers’ (and all of the other characters that start to randomly pop up within the system), then why shouldn’t I suspect that this is not a new kind of collective litmus for psychometrics?

If I’m given a choice of the kinds of attributes that I most desire myself, with the promise of discovering those in my contact list who have similar desires, then why on earth would the developers not be feeding this information back to subscribing marketing divisions? How on earth do they make their money without ad support?

An example: “Choose the things you’d want more of first: intelligence, creativity, friends, money, beauty, money, beauty, confidence, athleticism, fame, respect, time to yourself.” Surely if I rank order these fields then advertisers and marketers will be able to sequence both my priorities, and those of everyone who completes the sequence, so that they can direct products at me that will supposedly fulfil my needs and desires?

My suggestion is that the new wave of social ‘games’ that we’re being presented with are not only highly amusing, personal, and engaging, but they may also be leading to targeted product development and advertising that will supposedly fill our needs. Is it all harmless social fun, or is there a quiet wave of extremely careful targeted advertising that’s about to start arriving in our Facebook accounts?