Thursday, May 29, 2008

Time-shifting Communication

The intention of this post is to use a new 'scheduled post' feature in Blogger to demonstrate the possibilities of time-shifting communication. For example, I can prepare my post now, but then five hours later it will appear online and give me the appearance of being scholarly and nerdy, when, in fact, at the time this is being posted I'm actually at a rooftop BBQ on Taipa island... and I'm nowhere near a computer.

It's about time that we saw more active implementation of time-shifting (or at least time-delaying) features in our communication platforms. When I have that insomnia-induced brainwave at 1am, I don't really want to reveal to my colleagues that I'm not in the middle of a healthy cycle of sleep, do I?

So developers, developers, developers... please bring on time-shifting features in our email and blogging clients. If I am capable of doing things ahead of time, then why shouldn't I get the benefit of a 'phantom presence' after the fact?