Friday, November 14, 2008

Microbugging - Time to Filter!


Today I experienced an adverse reaction to overly-prolific social networking - the kind where it reaches a point of being unhealthy, and you just need to step back and take a break from someone's comments for a while. Sometimes social networking starts off as a perfectly healthy relationship between you and a member of your international peer group, but what if the person you're connected to turns down a path that you're too busy to follow?

I prefer to surround myself with positive, balanced individuals. I'm not interested in receiving a 'stream of consciousness' relay of someone else's every thought, doubt, or question. It's time for us to filter - both in terms of output, and in terms of input.

Today I 'cut off' some of my Twitter connections because their relays were interfering with my personal thought processes, and my ability to function as a positive, focused individual. Within several hours I received messages asking why I'd severed these links, and I attempted to state (where possible) that nothing is permanent, and that I needed to make room for other peoples' comments.

One of the problems with the modern ability to publish is that if you're going to choose to publish a poetic journey through your each and every thought, then you may want to look at which channel/forum/genre you choose to do this with. I'd like to introduce a new word into the discussion of microblogging: "microbugging" - a proclivity to share every thought with one's social network, as opposed to actively editing one's thoughts in order to relay and collect useful communication.