Friday, February 27, 2009

Is Digital Fatigue Stealing Your Mojo?

Currently I feel a pinch of digital fatigue/social network fatigue/Twitter fatigue, so I'm going to forgo writing a carefully composed blog post and just dump a whole bunch 'o' links into my blog. After all, this is 'Always On' Culture, so I might as well be honest about it. Oh what's that? "Where's the artistic picture of an exhausted face to accompany your blog post?" I hear you say. Well that's also part of the reason I started to search for these articles and references to various kinds of 2-point-no exhaustion: not everything that you post on the Internet has be a complete multimedia package.

Digital Fatigue: David O'Gwynn
Social Network Fatigue: Slashdot, Word Spy, Own Your Identity
Twitter Fatigue: Kel Kelly, Digital Rant

However, I don't want to just throw my links out at you like pre-chewed bones, so I'll leave this post with a little ray of light. Instead of just thinking, "Blurgh! I'm so worn out with all of this right now!" I'm thinking about how to actually fix this problem. But my solution will not be based on "time-based" foci (eg. "only Tweet on Tuesdays", "no Facebook on Friday"), because that sounds like a diet without exercise to me. Instead, I'd like to think specifically about my online R.O.I. This may sound selfish, as the nature of social networking is to both give and to receive. However, if I was getting burned out and working for minimum wages, I think the obvious step would be to simply cut the cord and move on, right? So watch out, digital world. I'm about to make some judgments. There's not room out there for all of you in my life, so I'm about to do some spring cleaning. I'll let you know how it goes when I return from my burnout?